LG refrigerator not cooling. A refrigerator is the most important appliance in our kitchen appliances. We never imagine, spending one day if our refrigerator stops working.
It may a very unpleasant situation for all of the family members, or even if you are living alone you may suffer a lot.
No doubt that what kind of gadget, machine, device, or appliance you are using, it may cause creating problems when any of its elements got defective, it stops working properly.
So, if your refrigerator is not cooling, there must be a problem with its elements. Don’t worry if you want to repair your refrigerator. We’ll help you to find out why your LG refrigerator is not cooling.
LG refrigerator not cooling
The problems that we are going to discuss are mentioned below
- Defective Inverter Linear Compressor
- Replace Refrigerator’s Start Relay
- Damage Evaporator Fan Motor
- Faulty Condenser Fan Motor
- Condensing Coils are Dirty
- Damage Temperature Control Thermostat
- Check Start-Capacitor
- Broken Thermistor
- Failed Defrost system
- Defective Temperature Control Board
- Faulty Main Control Board
1. Defective Inverter Linear Compressor
LG refrigerators have stability in their compressors.
The LG compressors pump the refrigerant or cooling elements (condenser coils & evaporator) into a sealed system to cool down the refrigerator.
But if both compartments of your refrigerator are not cooling then you need to check the inverter linear compressor.
It must be not pumping refrigerant for cooling. Here you have two situations for both compartments of your refrigerator.
Warm Fridge, Cool Freezer
If both the fridge compartment and freezer compartment of your refrigerator are working differently, like your freezer compartment is cooling efficiently but the fridge compartment is warm, then there is no issue with the inverter linear compressor.
For this purpose, you need to check the other cooling element like a burnt defrost thermal fuse or a defective evaporator fan of your refrigerator.
Warm Fridge, Warm Freezer
In case, if refrigerator and freezer compartments of your fridge are working in the same way, no cooling in the fridge and freezer and both are warm then there must be a check of the inverter linear compressor of your refrigerator.
It is not a common problem that your’s LG refrigerator compressor becomes a culprit.
Follow these steps to figure out whether your compressor is broken or not:
- You have required a screwdriver as a tool.
- Then, open the back panel of your refrigerator.
- Figure out whether your LG linear compressors are running or not.
- You may also use a multi-meter to check the continuity of electricity by touching its electrical pins.
- If the multimeter shows an open circuit, then you need to replace the failed inverter linear compressor.
2. Replace Refrigerator’s Start Relay
The second major issue of not cooling your refrigerator is your refrigerator’s start relay.
You can say that it is the most important element for your refrigerator to cool properly.
If the start relay is broken or damaged then the compressor also doesn’t work properly. You need to check the start relay if there is a cooling issue.
It is located next to the compressor at the bottom of the panel.
Follow these steps to find out, whether your start relay is a culprit or not:
- Pull out your refrigerator to get easy access.
- If your refrigerator has a water line then remove it first.
- Remove the back panel of your refrigerator.
- You may easily find out the start relay, as it is next to the compressor.
- Use a multi meter or a volt meter to check the continuity by touching the run and start terminal sockets of the start relay.
- If it is not showing readings then you need to replace your faulty start relay.
3. Damage Evaporator Fan Motor
Failed evaporator fan motors are another reason that prevents the freezer and refrigerator sections from cooling effectively. It is located in the back section of the freezer.
If your refrigerator is not cooling, not circulating airflow in both compartments but the freezing system is running properly.
Then, it may cause damage to the evaporator fan that is not flowing cold air in both compartments, over the evaporator coils, and all over the section.
Here are some steps that you may follow for accurate troubleshooting:
- Firstly, disconnect the power cord of your refrigerator as a safety measure.
- Access the evaporator fan motor of your refrigerator.
- Here are three signs that may tell you, that your evaporator fan mortar needs to be replaced.
- Firstly, is that your evaporator fan mortar makes a noise louder than normal.
- Secondly, make sure that the fan blade is not stuck up with debris by rotating the evaporator fan blade manually.
- At last, check the continuous path of electricity with the help of multi meter.
- If the evaporator fan motor is making noise, or it is stuck up, or the multi meter is not showing any readings, then you should replace the evaporator fan.
Sometimes, overstuffing your refrigerator compartment also may cause of stoping cool temperature. Try to put the items in a proper arrangement in both compartments.
4. Faulty Condenser Fan Motor
The circulation of the cold air is an essential act of the refrigerator.
If something happens that may damage any cooling element that flows the cold temperature in the compartments, it may stop cooling correctly.
Here, we are discussing another reason that may be a cause of the cooling problem. The condenser fan motor also plays an important role in circulating all over the condenser and also in the condenser coils.
If you ever realize that your refrigerator is not air flowing properly, or the air is nonexistent, then it may be a sign that the condenser fan motor blade caught something or the condenser fan motor is broken.
We’ll discuss below, what steps you should follow to diagnose, whether the condenser fan motor is faulty or not.
- Unplug the power cable of your LG refrigerator model.
- Disconnect the water line of your refrigerator if it has one.
- You’ll need to do 2 methods to check the defective element.
- Firstly, rotate the condenser fan motor blade manually. Because you must have to check that the blades are not stuck up and moving freely in their ways.
- Secondly, You have to check the motor windings. You may use a multi meter to accomplish the task.
- If the blades are catching any obstacle in their way, or your condenser fan motor has no continuous electricity path, then you need to replace the condenser fan motor.
5. Condensing Coils are Dirty
LG refrigerator manufacturers provide you with durability in their appliances. But a little bit of disturbance in the cooling elements may cause disturbed output.
A condenser unit and condenser coils are also an important part of the cooling chain. As you know that the refrigerators convert the warm air into a low-temperature air, and it is the responsibility of condenser coils.
So, the dirty condenser coils are not able to keep your LG refrigerator cool. You can say that the condenser coils work for the deletion of the warm temperature and convert it into cool air in the refrigerator.
If you want that your refrigerator never stops cooling because condenser coils are dirty, then make sure that these coils are essential to be cleaned.
Let’s start to follow the procedure to clean out your refrigerator’s dirty condenser coils:
- Disconnect the electric connection first, to prevent any kind of damage.
- Get access to the condenser coils.
- You may easily find them at the back and bottom of your refrigerator.
- You may use a vacuum cleaner or brush to clean the dirt from the coils.
- You may also use a piece of cloth soaked in soapy water to clean the dirt.
- After, cleaning the coils, connect your refrigerator to the electric board.
- After turning it ON, examine whether it is cooling properly or not.
- If it is still not cooling, then you need to diagnose the next component of cooling.
6. Damage Temperature Control Thermostat
A faulty temperature control thermostat is another reason that may lead to disturbing the cooling system of your refrigerator. It is located behind the unit on the bottom side.
The temperature control thermostat controls the temperature settings and temperature elements like both the cooling fan evaporator and condenser fans and compressor.
It transmits the continuity to these cooling components and able you to set the desired temperature.
If the temperature control thermostat is broken, it affects the working of other cooling elements. So whenever you suspect that the temperature control thermostat is not working efficiently, it’s better to confirm the culprit.
Follow these steps to figure out the thermostat:
- Disconnect your refrigerator from the electric power cord.
- Spin the thermostat knob from its lowest setting to the highest setting.
- Pay some focus to hear a sound of a click.
- If you hear the sound it means. that it is working correctly.
- If you didn’t hear any sound of a click, then you need to check the continuity, by using the multimeter.
- Check the readings on the multi meter, in case of infinity or zero readings, you need to replace the broken component so that your refrigerators stay cool.
7. Check Start-Capacitor
If your LG fridge is not cooling enough or stops cooling, then a broken or faulty start capacitor is also a reason for not cooling properly.
A start capacitor is used to push the power to the compressor that helps the component to start up.
So, when you realize that your refrigerator’s cooling system is not working properly, it means that your compressor is failed to start up because it is not getting the boost energy from the capacitor.
Follow these steps to check out the problem:
- Before starting anything, unplug the power source of your LG refrigerator.
- You may find it easily located on the main circuit board, behind the refrigerator.
- Get a multi meter to check the continuity of the electricity.
- If the test shows continuity, you don’t need to replace the capacitor.
- But, unfortunately, if it is not showing the readings, buy a new capacitor, then replace it.
8. Broken Thermistor
A disturbance in the thermistor of your refrigerator may cause of warm temperature. The thermistor is work as a sensor and is responsible for sending readings for the freezer temperature to the main circuit board.
When the thermister of your LG refrigerator is broken or burnt, then the main circuit stops receiving temperature readings properly can cause of refrigerator to stop cooling.
Follow these steps to configure the thermister of the LG refrigerator:
- Disconnect the power cable of the refrigerator.
- Access the thermister behind your refrigerator.
- Take a multi meter and check the readings.
- If it is failed to give you readings then you need to replace it.
9. Failed Defrost system
Failure of defrost system also may cause restricted airflow in the freezer section. Because the LG manufacturers provide the defrost setup that defrosts the extra level of ice and prevents it from over ice building.
Because over-ice building may cause blockage in the flow of cooling in the freezer sections. Mostly, defrost systems have a time period in which they start defrosting.
But if it damages then it starts building up over frost and stops the refrigerator from cooling properly. You may clean the excessive level of ice manually.
The only thing that needs to do is to disconnect the power cable and shift the items to another freezer. Then, open the refrigerator door till the ice doesn’t melt.
10. Defective Temperature Control Board
A faulty temperature control board is not a common problem that may cause stop cooling. But it is possible that a temperature control board becomes the culprit.
It is hard to diagnose that so when you check all the other cooling components, and they all are properly working, then you may replace the temperature control board.
Because both fan motors and compressor receive voltage from the temperature board. So, you may solve the problem by replacing a new temperature control board.
Occasionally, the heating element may malfunction, leaving your fridge warm.
11. Faulty Main Control Board
It is the last reason that may cause stop cooling your LG refrigerator. We recommend if all of your other components are working properly then you may change the main circuit board of your LG model.
It is not a common problem but not impossible. It happens sometimes that your main control board becomes faulty and stops working properly.
You may contact LG to easily buy new components for replacements.
After reading this guideline, you may be able to diagnose the problem that why your LG refrigerator not cooling, and how you may be able to repair them successfully. If you aren’t able to diagnose then it’s better to contact a professional.